Museums of local history By boat or ship Map
The Suur-Savo Museum
The Headquarters Museum, Communications Centre Lokki and Mannerheim's Salon Car
The Stone Sacristy
Mikkeli Art Museum/South Savo Regional Art Museum
The Infantry Museum
The Moisio Hospital Museum
The Harjukoski Water Mill
The Haukivuori Museum
The Suomenniemi Museum
The Lyytikkälä Farm
The Suomenniemi Museum
Address & Map
Enquiries Open 2018

Opinraitti 8
Suomenniemi

Map

Postal address: Suomenniemi Association, c/o Riitta Kiljunen, Kirkonkyläntie 10, FI-52830 Suomenniemi

Riitta Kiljunen, Suomenniemi Association:
Tel. +358 040 5672 173

Suomenniemi Week, in July

Other times by appointment

Links
Admission

 

Free admission

The Suomenniemi Museum, or the Nikkinen croft, is located along the village road. The house was owned by constable Matti Nikkinen (1860-1943) from around 1895. Nikkinen lived here with his wife Ida and daughter Helmi.

The constable was a well-known and active person in his community, a member of the school board, tax board and road board. He was also involved in the workers' association as well as in the founding of the Suomenniemi ship company.

One of the rooms and later the hall housed the local library from the 1920's until 1950. The kitchen, which had a stove, was the home of a seamstress, and later the building was used as a summer house.

The parish and the municipality swapped plots of lands and the croft was transferred to the Suomenniemi municipality in the late 1970s. The Suomenniemi local heritage organisation started the collection of objects for the croft, and the Nikkinen croft was opened to the public in 1981.

Up
Copyright © Etelä-Savo museums 2007. All rights reserved. Last modified: 15 Jan 2018 10:49