The Miekankoski Museum of Log Floating
Miekankoski Museum of Log-floating is located in an authentic log floater environment at Miekankoski, about 10 kilometres from the Mäntyharju parish village. When a shortcut route was built from the Lake Saimaa to the Mäntyharju waterway in 1910, Miekankoski became an intersection of two important log-floating routes. A logfloating cabin, a forge and a warehouse were built in the location – the current buildings date back to 1940s.
Log-floating in Miekankoski ended in 1975, and the area was renovated for museum and tourism use in 1990. The ownership of the log-floating museum was transferred to the Mäntyharju municipality in 1996. The log-floating cabin now hosts a cafeteria, and the warehouse building next to it houses the Log-floating Museum exhibition. The Miekankoski cafeteria is responsible for running the museum.
In the 1743 Peace of Turku, the border between Sweden and Russia was defined to go through Miekankoski; this is marked by the Peace of Turku Memorial, and a plaque telling about the history of the place.
Miekankoski is also a well-known place for fishing at the rapids, and fishing licenses are sold in the cafeteria.
Tel. +358 (0)400 653 281
Mäntyharju cultural and museum services:
Tel. +358 (0)40 507 5621
Address & Map
Postal address: Municipality of Mäntyharju, Museum, P.O. Box 76, 52701 Mäntyharju
The Elements of Southern Savo – Earth – Industry at the mercy of wood and water
Municipality of Mäntyharju
Last modified: 30 Jun 2022