The Suomenniemi Museum (The Nikkinen croft)
The Suomenniemi Museum, or the Nikkinen croft, is located along the village road. The house was owned by constable Matti Nikkinen (1860-1943) from around 1895. Nikkinen lived here with his wife Ida and daughter Helmi.
The constable was a well-known and active person in his community, a member of the school board, tax board and road board. He was also involved in the workers’ association as well as in the founding of the Suomenniemi
One of the rooms and later the hall housed the local library from the 1920’s until 1950. The kitchen, which had a stove, was the home of a seamstress, and later the building was used as a summer house.
The parish and the municipality swapped plots of lands and the croft was transferred to the Suomenniemi municipality in the late 1970s. The Suomenniemi local heritage organisation started the collection of objects for the croft, and the Nikkinen croft was opened to the public in 1981.
Last modified: 22 Feb 2021