Pieksämäki local heritage museum

Pieksämäki Local Heritage Museum

The Local Heritage Museum was owned by the municipality and operated from 1952 to 1985, after which it lay dormant. The Museum opened its doors on October 2nd 1955, in the attic of a library building behind a fire station. From their collection of 500 items, more than 300 were put
on display. The building behind the fire station was demolished in the fall of 1985, which necessitated a “temporary” move to a vicarage owned by the local parish.

The vicarage was bought by the municipality of Pieksämäki in 1986, and the majority of the
Local Heritage Museum’s collection has been displayed in its attic in the summer months of every year since 2021. The exhibition includes items related to housekeeping, fishing and leisure activities, ranging from the late 1800s to the 1940s.

In 1986-1987, the municipality and the Pieksämäki local heritage society arranged a search for
new items relating to modern urban culture. They jointly founded the cultural centre Poleeni, where a local history exhibition includes some of the old item collection and Pekka Kautovaara’s photos of traditional artisans.

Open 2024

Open 2023
Iso-Pappila Vicarage:
Jun 25th–Aug 17th
Tue–Thu from 11 AM to 5 PM
Fri–Sat from 11 AM to 3 PM

Local heritage exhibition
at cultural centre Poleeni:
Uses the opening hours of
the local history archive,
11 AM to 2 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Entry through the archive.

Admission

Iso-Pappila Vicarage:
Adults €3
Children and seniors €2
Free for children under school age

Local heritage exhibition
at cultural centre Poleeni:
Free entry

Enquiries

Iso-Pappila Vicarage:
Tel 050 336 2013

Local heritage exhibition
at cultural centre Poleeni:
Tel 040 501 8981

Address & Map

Iso-Pappila Vicarage
Sylvinkuja 5, Pieksämäki

Local heritage exhibition at cultural centre Poleeni:
Savontie 13, Pieksämäki

Mail address: Tiina Silvast-Törrönen, Pieksämäen kaupunki,         PL 125, 76101 Pieksämäki

Viimeksi päivitetty: 10.6.2024

Scroll to top